Everybody wants to maximize the effectiveness of their supplements and get the most out of their investment. However, ensuring that any combination of supplements you take is safe and effective is vital.
Not much scientific research is available regarding combining Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali. However, using both supplements has become increasingly popular because of their similarities.
Read on to learn more about Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali and the potential benefits of combining them.
What Is Fadogia Agrestis?
Fadogia Agrestis is a medicinal shrub in the family Rubiaceae, typically growing in Nigeria, Ghana, and Sudan. Several parts of this shrub are used as ingredients in traditional medicines, including the leaves and the stem, but the bark is the most widely used part.
This West African plant has become increasingly popular as a dietary supplement recently due to its potential health benefits.
What Are the Benefits of Fadogia Agrestis?
Fadogia Agrestis is believed to have many health benefits, including:
- Boost Testosterone Levels: A study found a substantial rise in blood testosterone concentrations in male rats, contributing to better testosterone production and masculine behavior. The plant extract is believed to be effective in dealing with impaired sexual functions in male animals.
- Enhance Sex Drive: A study found that Fadogia Agrestis helps promote frequent erections and intensifies orgasms and ejaculation. It effectively lowered the mount and intromission latency and lengthened the ejaculatory latency in rats for longer sexual activity.
- Treat Erectile Dysfunction: Research shows that Fadogia Agrestis extract can induce penile erection in rats by activating nitric oxide-cyclic guanosine monophosphate (NO/cGMP) pathways. This could help improve the symptoms of erectile dysfunction in men.
- Improve Athletic Performance: Fadogia Agrestis is claimed to help promote muscle mass, prevent fat buildup, increase strength, reduce fatigue, and improve endurance, which are all essential to enhance athletic performance.
What Is Tongkat Ali?
Eurycoma longifolia, commonly known as Tongkat Ali, Malaysian Ginseng, or Longjack, is a flowering shrub under the family Simaroubaceae native to Malaysia, Indonesia, and other Southeast Asian countries. Several parts of the plant are used for medicinal purposes, including the following:
- The leaves are used to relieve itchiness;
- The fruits are used to treat dysentery;
- The bark as grinded to fight parasites; and
- The taproots are powdered and used to manage blood pressure.
What Are the Benefits of Tongkat Ali?
Tongkat Ali is believed to provide a range of health benefits, including:
- Increase Testosterone Production: Research shows that the testosterone levels in hypogonadal men and healthy volunteers substantially increased after getting treated with Tongkat Ali, leading to an improved libido and enhanced sperm quantity and quality.
- Improve Erectile Function: A study found that Tongkat Ali extracts effectively enhanced erectile function in men with androgen deficiency of aging males (ADAM) by boosting testosterone levels and libido.
- Enhance Sexual Performance: In a study where impotent and sexually lethargic male rats were treated with Tongkat Ali, there was a significant reduction of latencies in mount, intromission, and ejaculation. This suggests that Tongkat Ali could help improve sexual performance, activity, and duration in men.
Should You Use These Two Together?
Dr. Kyle Gillett recommends using Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali together. This family and obesity medicine physician regularly uses them to enhance his testosterone levels. He recommends taking between 300 mg to 1,200 mg of Tongkat Ali daily and a maximum of 300 mg of Fadogia Agrestis daily.
Neuroscientist Andrew Huberman is another advocate of combining the two supplements. His Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali cycle involves taking 400 mg of Tongkat Ali early in the morning and 600 mg of Fadogia Agrestis. Still, he cycles with Fadogia Agrestis for eight to 12 weeks at a time to prevent kidney and liver damage.
Using Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali together could benefit male adults looking to enhance their physical performance, sexual function, and overall health. Both plants could help promote testosterone levels, improve penile function, and treat erectile dysfunction.
A study conducted to evaluate the efficacy of ayurvedic-based testosterone-boosting supplements found that Tongkat Ali, Fadogia Agrestis, and Ashwagandha are the primary natural ingredients. It was shown that 24.8% of these branded natural supplements produce promising effects in replenishing lost testosterone with consistent intake.
Unfortunately, this number equates only to 27 out of 109 branded supplements. The in-vivo or “inside body” studies for most ayurvedic are poorly documented, including the use of F. agrestis and T. ali.
However, as awareness rise among the population, more researchers might take an interest in studying these plants.
Studies suggest that incorporating T. ali with F. agrestis could improve the body’s natural testosterone production and minimize testosterone loss. Adding other natural aphrodisiacs, like Ashwagandha or Bulbine natalensis, could also help improve the body’s testosterone levels.
As of now, testosterone replacement therapy is the only known and effective medical treatment to reverse the decline of testosterone caused by aging. However, as studies indicate, these herbal supplements can potentially improve male reproductive health and restore testosterone levels.
Ultimately, talking to your doctor before taking any dietary supplement or herbal medicine is essential to ensure they are safe and appropriate.
Are There Any Side Effects to These Herbs?
Consuming these herbs in high dosages could cause some side effects. Fadogia Agrestis could be toxic at higher doses and cause liver and kidney diseases. The recommended amount of Fadogia Agrestis is 18 mg per kg of body weight.
Tongkat Ali could cause mild side effects such as headache, irritability, insomnia, and agitation. Additionally, some Tongkat Ali supplements have high concentrations of mercury, which can cause mercury poisoning that leads to permanent damage to the brain, kidney, and circulatory system.
As mentioned, cycling between F. agrestis and T. ali is not yet well-studied. When trying out ayurvedic supplementation to improve the quality of your life, it’s best to observe and listen to how your body reacts. If unwanted reactions emerge after taking these supplements, it’s best to stop immediately and consult with a doctor.
Ayurvedic supplements are generally safe for consumption for generally healthy adults. However, you must use it as instructed and with caution.
If you’re still looking for something else, you can also check out Guarana Powder.